Diplo Accuser Drops Sexual Assault Lawsuit

Diplo
Eli Russell Linnetz

Diplo

Less than 10 days after Diplo was accused of forcing a woman into performing oral sex, the plaintiff has filed to dismiss her lawsuit.

“In light of the evidence and after consultation with my attorneys, I have decided to withdraw my lawsuit,” the plaintiff, who filed under the initials E.K., said in a statement provided to Billboard on Thursday night (July 15). “No payment was offered or requested. I regret filing the lawsuit.”

The plaintiff's attorney confirmed the dismissal.

The lawsuit, filed July 6 in the district court in Nevada's Clark County, alleged that Diplo (real name: Thomas Wesley Pentz), following a July 6, 2019, performance at the Wynn/Encore Resort in Las Vegas, offered the plaintiff alcohol and marijuana, which she accepted, and then he prevented her from leaving his hotel room until she performed oral sex on him when she was not capable of providing lawful consent. According to the original filing, the plaintiff sued Diplo alleging, among other things, assault, battery, false imprisonment and intentional infliction of emotional distress. She also alleged that he filmed the encounter without her consent.

“As we said when we first learned of this lawsuit, there was absolutely irrefutable evidence that proved that the allegations it contained were false," Diplo’s attorney Bryan Freedman said in a statement Thursday. "As soon as we shared that plethora of evidence with the plaintiff’s lawyers, they recognized that they needed to withdraw their suit immediately.”

Freedman continues: “This demonstrably false claim ... has caused great harm. While that damage can never fully be undone, we are glad to see this lawsuit be dismissed with prejudice.”

The now-dismissed lawsuit led to the Baltimore Orioles canceling a July 24 postgame concert by Diplo following a letter in the Baltimore Sun questioning the planned show after the allegations came to light. Diplo’s team says they hope the concert can now go forward since the suit has been dropped.

In April, Diplo sued an ex-girlfriend, accusing her of revenge pornography and stalking after she had filed for a restraining order against him late last year.

THE BILLBOARD BIZ
SUBSCRIBER EXPERIENCE

The Biz premium subscriber content has moved to Billboard.com/business.


To simplify subscriber access, we have temporarily disabled the password requirement.